Thursday, September 18, 2008

GhettoBlaster (NY) Review by Michelle Geslani

MANIQUL LAZER
I LEARN EVERYTHING ON TV

Okay. Let’s say we took Ratatat and added malfunctioning
lasers, a broken DJ turntable, and screamo. Then we spiked their drinks with a psychedelic drug. We also kept them awake for over 48 hours and let then run crazy through a carnival funhouse. This is kind of what Mexico’s own Maniqui Lazer sounds like. They are a rambunctious synthetic pop trio that’s shared the stage with Sleeping People, Xiu Xiu, The Rapture, and the like. I guess I can’t quite put my finger on their sound or what they are trying to do, but eerily enough, despite the chaos, futuristic sound effects and unusual song titles (“Tamagotchi Machine,” “Tom Selleck Moustache,” “Fat Girls Killing
Models”), I kind of dig their energy. (Soundsister)
by Michelle Geslani

No comments: